Applications for the Scholarships must be filed online through the website for the Rhodes Trust. Candidates who are awarded with an official university endorsement letter will be provided with an authorization code to upload their documents to the online Rhodes Scholarship application process. The deadline for receipt of completed applications is September 30, 2017. Late submissions will not be considered.
As part of the pre-application process, applicants must provide personal contact details and all of the following documents and information to the Office of the Vice Provost, Students:
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé.
- A factual list of principal activities and honours while in college or university (including scholarships, prizes, awards, offices held, athletic record and extra-curricular interests and activities) with dates.
- A statement of your general interests and activities, your proposed course of study at Oxford and your present intentions as to your future career. This statement should not exceed 1,000 words. Selection committees will place special emphasis on this statement and it will be sent to Oxford College to which successful candidates apply for admission. More information about the suggested contents of this statement can be found in the Information for Applicants available on the Rhodes Trust website.
- Six references. The names and contact details of six referees who will provide information regarding your qualifications. Professional or institutional affiliation, mailing address, e-mail address, and telephone number must be included for all referees. At least four of these referees should be persons under whom you have studied at university and at least should comment upon your academic preparation and scholastic achievements. The remaining two referees should be people who know you well and can speak to your character and the broader non-academic interests.
NOTE: once you have registered referee details in your online application, the Rhodes Trust will e-mail referees to advise them how to submit their letters of appraisal online. Reference letters must be received no later than October 14, 2017. To prepare referees for the arrival of an email requesting a reference, you should print out and give their referees the instructions regarding letters of appraisal provided in Rhodes Scholarships – Information for Referees.
- If you are chosen as a Scholar-elect by the Trust, you will be required to submit other documentation as outlined in the Information for Applicants available on the Rhodes Trust website. It is important to review all these requirements prior to submitting you package to the Office of the Vice Provost, Students.
Once your application has been evaluated by York University’s Rhodes Scholarship committee, a written statement from the President of York University endorsing your candidacy for the Scholarship will be provided to the successful candidates. The endorsement letter will be sent directly from the University to the Secretary of the Regional Selection Committee.
All application materials for unsuccessful candidates will be destroyed after the selection process is complete. Documents will not be returned unless specifically requested by you, the applicant.
- The personal statement is the most important part of the application. It should paint a picture of you as a whole person, whose accomplishments, character and future plans reflect a maturity, sense of purpose and a concern for others. A good statement will give the committee a clear understanding of who you are, how your interests have developed and how and why study at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar fits into your future plans.
- Since applications must go forward with the endorsement of the President of the University, there is an internal screening process for prospective candidates.
- It takes a good deal of work to put together a successful Rhodes application. You need to allow yourself enough time to work on your dossier and secure the necessary letters of recommendation once you have received the go-ahead from the Vice-Provost, Students after a review of your qualifications. The sooner you start, the better equipped you will be to prepare a successful application.
If you have any questions about applying to the Rhodes Scholarship, please contact Rheza Evangelista, Executive Assistant, Office of the Vice-Provost Students at (416) 736-2100 ext. 70705 or by email at email@example.com.