As student advocates and champions of York University, the Working Group presented to the Provost on December 13, 2013, a vision, framework and recommendations to enhance our institutional reputation, foster engagement, increase retention and improve satisfaction for first-year students on our campuses. We believe that our work will further York’s overarching goals of academic quality and student success, as referenced in the University Academic Plan and White Paper. It will also drive the achievement of our Strategic Enrolment Management goals.
Below please find the outcomes generated by the First-Year Experience Working Group. Included are summary slides, a discussion paper and an overview of input garnered from the consultation process facilitated in November 2013.
- First-Year Experience “Case For Change” Report [PDF 867KB]
- First-Year Experience “Case For Change” Consultation Feedback [PDF 347KB]
- First-Year Experience “Case For Change” Support Presentation [PDF 624KB]
- To agree to a vision and common definition for the First-Year Experience at York.
- To make recommendations to the Provost addressing the options for an integrated First-Year Experience program.
- To establish a baseline and measures specific to the First-Year Experience.
First-Year Experience open forums are held throughout the year. Please check back for the date, time and location of the next scheduled forum.
- Dr. Janet K. Morrison, Vice-Provost Students
- Sue Vail, Associate Vice-President, Teaching & Learning
- Catherine Salole, Director, Student Success Strategies, Student Community & Leadership Development
- Brendan Schulz, Executive Director, Student Success, Strategy & Planning, Office of the Vice-Provost Students
- Clara Wong, Director, Business Performance Reporting, Office of the Vice-Provost Students
- John Amanatides, Master, Norman Bethune College
- Brian Poser, Director, Atkinson Centre for Mature & Part-time Students (ACMAPS)
- Martha Rogers, Associate Professor, Faculty of Health
- Jennifer Myers, Executive Director, Athletics & Recreation
- John Dupuis, Associate Librarian
- Amy Gaukel, Assistant Dean, Students, Lassonde School of Engineering
- Lucy Bellissimo, Deputy Registrar (then Director, Registrarial Enterprise Initiatives)
- Mahshad Kolahdouzan
- Marie Larose, former Director, Recruitment & Awards
- Mark S. Conrad, Senior Institutional Analyst, Office of Institutional Planning & Analysis
- Julie Parna, Director, Strategic Academic Initiatives (then Acting University Registrar and Director of Admissions)
- Dimple Savla, Coordinator, Residence Life (Vanier & Winters)
- Diane Woody, Associate Dean, Teaching & Learning, Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies
- Michelle Miller, Project Lead for Services for Students, Office of the Vice-Provost Students