Happy summer to you!
As we see our students crossing the stage during Convocation this week, it is a good time to reflect on all the great work that has been accomplished this past year.
Some key accomplishments from the year include:
- Held the largest-ever York Orientation Day event.
- YU START earned two nationally recognized awards for innovation – one from CACUSS and the other from CAUBO.
- Launched the Student Mental Health strategy as part of the overall Campus Mental Health strategy.
- Received Canada 150 funding to enhance and deliver our largest ever annual Career Success Symposium for students with disabilities.
- Debbie Hansen named Executive Director, Community Supports & Services. She and her team are leading the new Centre for Sexual Violence Response, Support & Education.
- Completed the expansion of our Accommodated Test & Exam Centre.
- Skennenko:wa Gamig (The House of Great Peace, formerly Hart House) formally opened on June 21. The facility, dedicated for use by Indigenous students, staff and faculty as a gathering space, will provide additional programming space for CASS and serve as a gathering place for the Indigenous community at York.
- In August 2017, ACMAPS will celebrate its tenth year of dedicated service to mature and part-time students. In that time we’ve helped literally thousands of students on their journey to graduation, including York’s eldest graduate ever at age 89, Alma Kocialek.
- Long-time York University Lions head athletic therapist Cindy Hughes inducted into the Canadian Athletic Therapy Association (CATA) Hall of Fame.
- York University Lions wrestling brothers Mohab El-Nahas and Shady El-Nahas each won gold medals in their respective weight classes at the Canadian Open Judo Championships in Calgary.
- York University Lions quarterback Brett Hunchak will participate this summer in the Edmonton Eskimos training camp as part of the CFL-CIS Development Program.
- Completion of Manage My Academic Record website – enhancing student wayfinding.
- Implementation of Electronic Funds Transfer for refunds to student accounts.
- Implementation of comprehensive new Senate “Forgiveness” policies.
- System and staff readiness for the transformation of OSAP/Net Tuition.
On July 4, Lucy Fromowitz will be joining York University as our new Vice-Provost Students. You will have seen from the earlier announcements that Lucy comes to us with a wealth of experience and expertise. We are really looking forward to partnering with Lucy to move the Division forward.
Carol, Sheila & Brendan